Students selected for FOCUS scholarships will be expected to maintain certain minimum requirements in order to receive and maintain funding.
Minimum Enrollment Requirements
- Must maintain a declared major of physics, mathematics, ecology, chemistry, biochemistry, or biology.
- Must maintain continuous, full-time enrollment with at least 12 hours of coursework completed at UNT each long semester.
- Must demonstrate financial need.
- Must enroll in FOCUS-designated lecture sections.
- Must maintain minimum of a 3.0 grade point average, overall and in science/math courses.
- Must enroll in the one semester credit hour "Introduction to Careers in Science and Mathematics" seminar course during the fall semester of the sophomore year or "Careers in Science and Mathematics" seminar during each fall during the junior and senior years while receiving the scholarship.
- Must attend at least 50% of the field trips, seminars, or other programs designed for the FOCUS cohort each semester.
- Meet with assigned FOCUS mentors.
While not required of FOCUS scholars, the following are additional opportunities that may help to connect members of the cohort to their major, peers, and the university in positive ways.
- Undergraduate Research. FOCUS scholars are encouraged to consider careers in research. The FOCUS program will help to connect scholars with faculty and graduate students in their major field who are conducting research at UNT. Descriptions of current faculty research may be found on the Department of Chemistry, Department of Mathematics, Department of Physics, or Department of Biological Sciences websites.